Thursday, December 16, 2010

Last Man Standing

Right around midnight I was craving a 7-11 quarter-pound hotdog and a Slurpee.  What, you don't get that midnight craving from time to time?  On the way home I realized I hadn't checked the mail...I usually don't even bother on Wednesdays since all that ever comes is junk mail and supermarket fliers...but something told me I should do it anyway.

Just like that, my intuition was rewarded....I nice big box from Heavy Metal Magazine containing the long-awaited (and long overdue) Signed Limited Edition version of "Last Man Standing: Killbook of a Bounty Hunter" created by the ever-talented Dan Luvisi.  I've been following his work for a little over two years, about the time he started on LMS, and to call him a talented artist would be....a slap in the face.  He is WAY beyond that.

In a nut shell, Last Man Standing follows the story of Gabrial, the last of a group of 500 genetically enhanced 'Paladin' soldiers who is framed and sent to prison.  He escapes and goes into the future world of New Amerika to find out why he was set-up.  The book isn't so much a graphic novel where it's just an extended, over-sized comic book, but rather a bible-sized scrap book containing everything a bounty hunter might collect along the way....yeah, we're not talkin' baby pictures and pressed flowers here.

So, here I am, flipping through the book...and it's a big ass book, like coffee table sized....when I began reading through the acknowledgments.  I had to stop and do a double-take, "Is that.....me?  Damn, that is me!"  I think I've talked to him maybe once in past six months...he's been pretty damned busy with the book, publication SNAFUs, movie deals, etc, etc...but I must've caught him on an off day.  A few words of encouragement went a long way I guess.




No comments:

Post a Comment