Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Going Postal

 I was supposed to have this Chris Sanders print on Saturday, but apparently my usual postal carrier was taking a couple of days off from work...leaving my latest acquisition in the hands of a second-string temp.  The temp left notice that it was at the post office to be picked up on Friday, but put the notice in the wrong mail box...a little old lady's mail box two blocks away.  She however, was kind enough to bring it to me while she was walking her dog the next morning.  I thanked her for going out of her way to bring it to me, but by that time it was too late to get to post office before their noon closing on Saturday. At this point I'm not overly concerned about getting the print...at least I know where it is and not lost somewhere out there in postal limbo, bound for the dead letter office or the North Pole c/o Santa Claus.

Fast forward to Monday, I take off early from work to pick up the package, but when I get there the postal clerk at the desk tells me that the genius of a temp has put the package on his truck a second time...apparently doing so after a notice for pick-up has been left is a serious no-no in the postal biz.  The postal clerk tells the Postmaster...and she's pissed!  I'm still taking it all in stride...they're extremely apologetic and I keep telling them it's no big deal.  Well, long story made short, apparently it IS a "big deal" in the postal profession....a "step into my office, because you're fuckin' fired!" kind of deal.

Ever wonder why so many letter carriers ended up "going postal" back in the day?  Well, now you know.


I'm going to have it professionally framed some time next week, but for the interim...yeah...ignore the over-sized, shitty, plastic Wal-Mart frame.  It's the only thing I could find on short notice that came close to fitting it.

No comments:

Post a Comment