Friday, October 15, 2010

Cavalry Leads The Way

I'm sure this isn't quite what you'd normally expect me to do, but I woke up this morning feeling a little nostalgic and banged out a few pieces that are near and dear to my heart.  Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away I was a Sapper, serving my first four years in the 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment (2ACR) (now know as the 2nd Stryker Cavalry Regiment) and the 1st Cavalry Division (1CD).  I did eight years in the active Army then went into the National Guard for another ten years to work on and/or Crew Chief AH-64A Apache, UH-60 Blackhawk, and CH-47 Chinook.  All said and done, I did eighteen years and amassed seven combat tours before retiring in 2007.  There aren't too many people who can say they retired at the ripe old age of 37.



2 comments:

  1. Loved the flashback. I was with the 2acr in nuremberg back in the day when there was an east germany and we were convinced the russian hordes would be coming over the wire any minute. (81 - 85) then in 91 i got a call from a buddy i was posted with there in 1991 to come and rejoin the cav for the great unfinished gulf war. sadly the air force decided to re-route me and i spent the whole damn war as a remf... ah well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave: I was right up the road in downtown Bayreuth, adjacent to Christensen Barracks (aka The Rock) from '89 until the Regiment moved to Ft Lewis in '92. I was with some of the very last border patrols up on the Czech border, both before and after reunification...so I know the whole "watching them watch us" and the commie hoards all too well.

    ReplyDelete